For years, I have been wanting to get back into electronic tinkering. When I was in Engineering school, I greatly enjoyed the many projects we worked on. It is quite amazing some of the thing we had built. From a 600 baud modem, to a switching power supply to a digital control system. That was some cool stuff. Unfortunately, the direction my career took led me down the software route (not that I am complaining, it has been a great ride) and I lost the urge to tinker.
This year, for my birthday, I took the plunge. I bought an Arduino learning kit from the MakerShed and have been soldering away this holiday weekend. I still have some birthday funds remaining, and that is going to more tools and storage containers for my workshop. Halloween at our house is going to be cool.
Coming this spring, I'm taking another item off my someday list, and will be learning to kayak.
Don't be afraid. Get your list out, pick something and just give it a try. It'll expand your world and you will feel so good afterwards.
In case you are interested in getting started on Arduino, take a look at these resources:
- www.arduino.cc -- The official Arduino site. It is such an easy kit to use.
- www.makershed.com -- They have cool kits and don't forget to jump over to the Make magazine portion of the site.
- www.parallax.com -- For those who want more robot-centric kits. The Boe Bot is a good one. Their support staff is very helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment